If you want to visit castles in Austria then you should take a trip to Burgenland, which literary means “Castle Land”. The historic castles in Burgenland have rich histories, they belonged to the counts of Esterházy and even the Royal House of Habsburg.
Many of the castles and palaces in Burgenland can be visited. They are now museums or in some cases beautiful castle hotels. Visit the castles of Burgenland, stroll through the charming villages and visit the vineyards in the Land of Castles.
Schloss Esterházy in Eisenstadt is one of the finest Baroque palaces in Austria. The home belonged to the Esterházy family for more than 300 years. In the early 17th-century the palace came into the hands of the Esterházy family and in the second half of the 17th-century it was remodeled into a Baroque palace. Esterházy Palace is still a cultural hub which holds many events but can also be visited for a tour
Esterházy Palace visitor information: the palace is open for visitors through the year. There are guided tours in English and German. Visit the website for current opening hours.
Address: Esterhazypl. 1, 7000 Eisenstadt, Austria
Forchtenstein Castle (Burg Forchstenstein)
Forchtenstein Castle is a medieval castle in Burgenland. The castle was gifted to Nikolaus Esterházy by Emperor Ferdinand II in 1622. It is the only fortress in the region that has never been captured during the Turkish Wars. The Esterházy family still owns the castle to this day and the family’s treasury can be seen in the castle.
Forchtenstein Castle opening times: the castle is open Wednesday-Monday, in July and August it is open daily. Visit the website for current opening hours.
Address: Melinda Esterhazy-Platz 1, 7212 Forchtenstein, Austria
Güssing Castle (Burg Güssing)
Burg Güssing is the oldest castle in Burgenland and was built around 1180 by Belá III of Hungary. In 1524 the castle changed ownership to the Batthyány family. In the 16th and 17th century the castle was expanded to fight off the dangers from the east. In the 18th century the castle lost its strategic importance and it fell into decay. Since 1870 the castle has been owned by a foundation and has been carefully renovated.
Burg Güssing opening times: the castle museum is open March-October. Visit the website for current opening times.
Address: Schloßgasse, 7540 Güssing, Austria
Bernstein Castle (Burg Bernstein)
Bernstein Castle was built in the 12th-century. Over the centuries it has been besieged, conquered, sold, neglected, and burned down but despite this the castle is still standing. In the 17th century the defensive structures became obsolete so they were turned into a natural garden, which is the oldest of its kind in Burgenland. The castle’s most famous resident was László E. Almásy, who inspired the book and film “The English Patient”.
Halbturn Palace (Schloss Halbturn)
Schloss Halbturn is a Baroque palace in northern Burgenland. The palace was built from 1701 to 1711 by Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt as a hunting lodge for Emperor Charles VI. Maria Theresa remodeled the palace after which it became a summer residence. In 1949 the palace burned down and only the central part of the main building could be saved. Surrounding the palace is an English style and Baroque garden. The palace now holds events (such as exhibitions and Christmas markets) and offers hotel rooms and a restaurant.
Halbturn Palace opening times: the park is open all year round. Between 8th April – 26th October 2022 there is a Sisi exhibition. Visit the website for more information.
Address: Schloss Halbturn, 7131 Halbturn, Austria
Lackenbach Palace (Schloss Lackenbach)
Schloss Lackenbach is a Renaissance castle in Burgenland. The former moated castle was built between 1548 and 1552 and later expanded. In 1618 the palace became the property of Count Nikolaus Esterházy. The Renaissance palace is well preserved as well as the orchard meadow with ancient and very rare fruit trees of the nineteenth century and the seventeenth-century “Königshügel” – The King’s Hill – formed of heaped-up earth. Today, the palace includes an interactive nature theme park and museum.
Castle Schlaining (Friedensburg Schlaining)
The castle was built in 1271 and located on an imporatant trade route in Austria. In 1445 the castle was rebuilt by King Friedrich III and in 1471 he gave the castle ro Franz Batthyánuy. The castle remained in the Batthyány family till 1849 when Ludwig Batthyány was exectuted. In present day the castle houses the European Museum for Peace.
Castle Schlaining opening times: the castle is open all through the year Tuesday-Sunday. Visit the website for current openng hours.
Address: Rochusplatz 1, A-7461 Stadtschlaining, Austria
Lockenhaus Castle (Burg Lockenhaus)
Burg Lockenhaus is castle and medieval fortress built around 1200 in the Güns Valley. In the 16th-century the Castle was transferred to the Nadasdy family which included a reign of terror by Elizabeth “The Blood Countess” Báthory. In 1676 Count Paul Esterházy took ownership of the castle. During the Turkish War the castle was severly damaged and the destruction of the castle continued in the 18th-century. Today, the castle can be visited and offers hotel rooms.
Lockenhaus Castle opening times: from April the castle is open daily. For current opening hours visit the website.
Address: Eugen Horvath Platz 1, 7442 Lockenhaus, Austria
Landsee Castle Ruins (Bergruine Landsee)
The Landsee Ruins were first mention in the 12th-century. In the 16th-century Gertrud von Weißpriach owned the castle, and together with robber Franz Magusch did they ambush merchants on their way to Burgenland. The Esterházy family completed the castle in 1666, but a century later a fire ruined it. From the viewing platform you have a view over Burgenland and the Bucklige Welt region.
Landsee Castle Ruins opening times: the ruins are open April-October. There are guided tours by appointment. Visit the website for more information.
Address: Landsee 15, 7341 Landsee Austria
Schloss Deutschkreutz is a four-winged Renaissance palace in central Burgenland. In 1676 the castle became property of the Esterházy princes, though they did not stay at the palace. From 1966 the palace was owned by artist Anton Lehmden, who also restored the building. The palace is now the Anton Lehmden private museum, which can only be visited though guided tour, visit the website for tour dates.
Address: Schloss Deutschkreutz Schlossweg / Kreuzung Zinkendorferstrasse, 7301 Deutschkreutz, Austria
Kohfidisch castle (Schloss Kohfidisch)
Schloss Kohfidisch has been owned by the Erdödy family since the 16th century. In the 17th century the farmstead was expanded into a palace. Surrounding the palace is an English garden with rare trees. Throughout the year the palace hosts events. For more information you can visit the website.
Address: Kohfidisch, Schloss 1, 7512 Kohfidisch, Austria
The temple Gloriette was built in 1804 and was originally called The Marian Temple, named after Princess Maria Hermenegild Esterházy. In 1995 the temple was severely damaged due a fire, but it has been lovingly restored. Today, the temple is an event venue and restaurant called Die Alm by Rabina.
Address: Glorietteallee 51, 7000 Eisenstadt, Austria